Wednesday 3 June, 2009

My First Interview

Many of my new friends wouldnt know that i wasnt interested in studies throughout my life. Going to school, attending classes were all good fun for sure. Whereas sitting and studying always proved to be my cup of woes. I disliked the discipline required of a student, while always being carefree in everything that i did.

A day came when i finished my schooling. The marks procured werent impressive, though i got a first class as i always did. My dad wanted the best for me, like all parents would, whereas my marksheet defeated his ambitions. He asked me what subjects interested me? Can u guess what i answered. I think u got it right, i said "NONE". He was shocked to his bone. Later he thought doing a diploma at the best polytechnic will atleast fetch me a job. Pursuing to get admission from the No.1 government polytechnic of Bangalore wasnt easy. In the end, i lost an year after all the guarantees provided, i wont blame anyone though.

Ofcourse i didnt want to sit idle now and thought of going for a job. After seeing an ad for a job with the Taj Group of Hotels i applied for the post as Apprentice in Airconditioning and Refrigeration. The training was to be provided by the Taj group itself for everyone who cleared the tests. The written tests were quite easy to say the least. After this, two interviews were planned for the candidates who cleared the test.

Round one of the Interview was a breeze. Round two by another senior in the company was also good and within an hour the results were out and i was among the selected few. Suddenly a senior manager there came out of nowhere and wished to interview the selected candidates. I was the No.1 in the list. With absolutely no tension or anxiety i went into his chamber.

The new interviewer wanted to test the true worth of the candidates. He started asking me questions to check my general knowledge and current affairs, which wasnt actually required for this job. I kept satiating his quest adequately enough. It was now more than 20 mins into the interview and he was getting frustrated because i never said i didnt know a answer to his question. He pressed on with more and more questions, and i started enjoying the process, always answering bang on target.

Forty minutes into the interview, i could see his face tensed up and in a sense of bewilderment. I actually failed to answer his last question after 40 minutes. The question was "Do you know the meaning of OORGOLAM". I said i dont know, and atlast i could see a great relief in his face. He explained to me that "Oorgolam" means procession in Tamil. And thus ended my interview.

I didnt get the job there, but for another reason altogether.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm... this made me remind of my first interview in an callcenter... were i hav uttered all stupid answer's...
and as expected not got d job...

Prem said...

Mine was worse, my throat dried up and I asked the interviewer for water.

Anonymous said...

so what was the reason?

Joshi said...

Well, the reason for my not getting the job was that i didnt agree to work more than 8 hours a day without extra pay. :)