Sunday 26 July, 2009

My Baby-steps to the Kitchen

I have always believed that one never enters the kitchen unless one is interested in cooking or due to sheer helplessness. Having eaten food throughout my life without having to cook for it, is a lucky thing in itself. This past sunday i went to chennai to be with my wife (Beena), who has been living alone for a month now. My presence would be comforting to her and ofcourse i thought of helping her in the kitchen too.

I would begin by cutting the vegetables for Beena and thereby saving her some time and trouble. Stirring and sauting was an interesting pastime too, as long as she took care of the ingredients going into the dish. The first three days were good to both of us. I was getting initiated to a new skill, and Beena was saving time.

The fourth day was going to be different. She fell ill suddenly. I had to tend to her even if she had to drink water. She was exhausted to the hilt. The onus to cook breakfast fell flatly on me. I cooked breakfast (idlis) for us and also managed a chutney. Though Beena certified that the idlis came out just right and the chutney was marvellous, i should accept that the chutney was little salty.

The fifth day i didnt know what to cook, so i made good with rice gruel and coconut chutney. And the next day we both had food at the restaurant and never cooked. Beena had almost recovered by then, and i didnt want her to take any troubles. Now i feel what i almost took for granted was not an easy task. My mom to me is more venerable now, and so is every mom who has been cooking for her children without a complaint. Time for some thanksgiving to our mummies.

No comments: