Sunday 23 August, 2009

You are more equal if u have a car

I dont know if this story is the same all over. I will talk about my observation in Bangalore about the aspect of one owning a car.

We owned a small 2 bedroom house earlier, which was sold some years back. There we had some neighbours, who could be categorized into 2 groups. One who owned a car and the other who didnt. We belonged to the second group.

The conversations always were within the same group, and minimally across the two segments, and that too only on need basis. It was a disturbing trend prevalent in society, and we used to discuss on the subject in our family, but never getting affected by the aparthied meted out. Ours heads were always held as high as possible.

Four years back, my long term wish of owning a car materialized. This was while i was in Gujarat. Being a recluse, as i always was, most of my neighbours never knew about my existence. Suddenly persons whose faces were known to me, but myself unknown to them, started striking up conversations. I realised in a day or two the reason for the change in approach. I felt so horrible and pitied their standards.

A person should never be weighed materialistically. I still have my very poor friends, and meet them regularly while in bangalore. Having said that, i dont wish to say that i am rich in any way. I have a regular job and thats it. People forget their humble beginnings once they are well off.

In Kollywood, the undisputed king Rajnikant is known to have had a humble beginning. In Bangalore he has a very close friend from his younger days from modest background. Rajni once went to his house and asked his friend to lend his TVS-50, so that he can roam around the city and see places without any fuss, like during his younger days. His friend warned that he would be recognised and mobbed the moment he stepped out.

Rajni heeding to his friend's worry, stepped out in disguise and roamed the city in his friend's teeny-weeny moped, incognito. Its then, no surprise that respect and adulation flows unabated to people like him.

(My foster sister Preethi a.k.a. Chotu , wanted me to write this blog, when i shared this story with her.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah...
this is what i was looking 4 in ur blog....
thanx 4 writing it....
hope i will get lots more to learn from u throught ur blog...
keep writing....
iam a regular visitor of ur blog an i admire ur writting skill.... miss u bhaiya..... bye.. take care...

Joshi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog regularly, my dear. Shall try to write interesting things, but wont guarantee any. Love u dear. Take care.

Unknown said...

Joshi, what u said in ur blog is true.. some people are like this.. what to do.. But its up to us to identify the good ones and be in touch with them.. Lets be human whatever we become in our lives.. Yes all the great people, whose life we have seen or read are all the ones who were human in their behaviour.. Here i must tell a word about my mom, the one qulaity i very much like in my mom is the way she treats fellow people with respect. Whether it is the working class , paper boy ... she treats him in a way, they feel happy.

I am trying my best to inculcate that in me....