Tuesday 15 September, 2009

My share of Vanity

The times spent in college and school always stays in our minds. Some of the memories may be good and some not so good. A particular vanity which worked up my mind in untiring ways was my yearning for good dress and nice pair of shoes.

My demands were generally not so much on my parents compared to my elder sister's. She would stamp her foot down and get the most difficult things achieved, but i was not so adamant in nature. I understood my dad's financial challenges in bringing us up and never was unnerving on him.

Stylishly dressed people always got my extra attention. Sneakers which were fashionable got my eyes fixed on them. The shoe company 'Liberty' had a run-away success with their Force-10 brand of sneakers. I was head over heels in love of it, for the sheer style it gave. Though i shared my appreciation and liking for this brand of shoes, with my parents, i never asked them to get it for me. I thought when i start earning, i can always buy them if they are still in fashion. Precisely, that was to happen 3 years from then.

Once i got my job, in the second month's salary i bought my much yearned brand of shoes. No doubt, it was 3 years later, but its style commanded appreciation from my fellow trainees in Air Force. A deep sense of satisfaction could be felt, and also tremendous amount of happiness for having bought it with my earned money. In the subsequent months, another long pending wish of mine was to get fulfilled.

When Timex launched their 'Indiglo' brand of watches, they had done tireless advertising, which got me hooked up in the list of its admirers. A neighbourhood boy whose dad was mega rich, got him this watch. Since i knew him, i got to check it from close quarters and fell for it that very moment. My dream to own it ended within the first few months that i started earning.

After these two loved things were possessed, i felt i shouldnt fall in love so deeply for any objects. The waiting periods can be a harsh thing to suffer. The yearning for good things is still there, but the intensity is markedly controlled.

Vanity can get us in its net, but values and character would act as guardian angels.

No comments: