Friday 11 December, 2009

Misconceptions Galore

I come across many friends and acquaintances who have some belief systems which have no foundation. A case in point which i recollect from a few years back is about my friend having got a new girl friend. The courtship was going on and for all practical purposes he had the three lettered word in mind. During a casual conversation, he shared the news about his new girlfriend and her increasing closeness to him.

The only thing that i wanted to advice him was since the inevitable is going to happen in a few days time, i wanted him to take necessary precautions. Those days knowledge about HIV/AIDS wasn't very common among the masses. With my enormous appetite for reading, i had already gained sufficient knowledge about this disease new to our country.

My friend had heard gory stories about HIV/AIDS and had a firm belief that patients afflicted with HIV/AIDS are easily recognised by their weak health, discernible to everyone. When i asked my friend to use precaution if they both have plans to get intimate, he reasoned that its not required as she is quite healthy and from affluent family. That day i had to use all my force to drive home my point. After that i didnt follow up about his adventure or his adventurous girl friend.

A little knowledge of Anatomy goes a long way in burning misconceptions. Many of my friends who got married, dont know what safe period is. Even girls themselves dont know much about it. With the kind of candid talk i have with my close associates, i usually drive home some points which will help them in future. A whole lot of cock and bull stories heard from friends is what most of us accept to be the truth about the taboo subject of India. There is a wonderful book on the subject i came across many years ago in the "Dummies Series", named "Sex for Dummies" authored by Ms. Ruth K Westheimer. That book would be a good bet to break the misconceptions that get cemented with time.

Agony aunt columns in good magazines is a great source to gain some real knowledge. Thats where i mostly learnt many things from my school days. I stress upon the importance of reading to all my friends, and i know for a fact that many still thank me for putting them into a healthy habit, which has benefited them immensely. Reading automatically increases one's knowledge. Its not for nothing that Francis Bacon famously said "For Knowledge Itself Is Power".

No comments: