Sunday 27 December, 2009

Season of Festivities

Christmas has just got over and new year is within arm’s length. A long holiday for children and an extended weekend for me. My landlord is a Christian but except for the stars displayed outside his home, I don’t see much energy levels signifying the onset of Christmas season. My room mate planned a Christmas party in our house involving some colleagues. None of us were Christians, including the guests.

Our Christmas party started on 23rd Dec by 7 pm and continued till 11pm. In the short span, we sang many jingles and other songs apt for the occasion being celebrated. Though this time there wasnt any Santa Claus among us, with the limited strength that we could muster, we had the best of times possible. I recollect with joy the past Christmas years, when we would go around on Christmas eve, santa claus and all, distributing toffees to children in the locality. Every household we visited, we were treated to variety of fares and also enough liquor flowed freely, during the season.

These days people don’t have much time for themselves. Still in Air Force, these kind of festivities are not forgotten, when we are posted far from a city. Only these festival occasions provide the much needed platform to indulge in lot of partying and thereby strongly securing the camaraderie already in place. I don’t know much of the jingles, but there are some among us soldiers, who are adept at these melodious songs.

With the passing of years, the social connectivity is getting lessened, and I don’t know why this happens. No clear reasons, only thing I can fathom is that people are getting more self-centric. Celebration as a society is falling down in strength and quality. My short years left in the air force, I hope will help me indulge more vigorously in these kind of occasions, so that I have lot of joyful things to recollect in my later years.

My New year wishes to one and all. May god bless all with happiness, peace of mind and prosperity. Ever yours in the lord. Joshi.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it was fun reading ur blog.Good, keep it up. Now a days people are not celebrating any festival in such a josh how it used to happen in our childhood days... I always enjoyed my childhood with my friends playing all games.. all festivals were big occasion to share joy and happiness. Now things are different. People are running behind vitamin M, Money Money, Money.....

Prem said...

I know what you mean, Deepavali used to be felt a month in adavnce when we were kids. The last 3 days of Deepavali will be non-stop fun. Now, the festival is not felt even on the day. Partly Media needs to be blamed, they always have enough reasons for us to not celebrate this festivals. The same environmental issue talks crop us for Ganesha chathurthi too...